Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post subject: Video game-themed puzzle
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 pm 

Today's BEQ crossword reminded me that there simply aren't enough video game-themed crosswords out there. So I quickly made this one. The fill is sub-optimal and the theme has a limited appeal, but I think it's fun.

Subject for discussion: what other video games would make decent themes for crosswords?

Attachments:
FabFour.puz [1.92 KiB]
Downloaded 792 times

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 pm 

Alex wrote:
Today's BEQ crossword reminded me that there simply aren't enough video game-themed crosswords out there. So I quickly made this one. The fill is sub-optimal and the theme has a limited appeal, but I think it's fun.

Subject for discussion: what other video games would make decent themes for crosswords?

fast, but fun. for something you just threw together, i'll give you a pass on the clue for AP TEST including "advanced." :) and for whatever reason, across lite didn't like my 2 and when i asked it what character it wanted in there, it told me ... 2.

never heard of TOADSTONE. what, you couldn't get TOAD THE WET SPROCKET in there? :)

ZELDA FITZGERALD is fifteen letters. too bad RICH GANNON isn't spelled GANON. and nothing has HYRULE in it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 am 

My interest in video games started with Space Invaders and ended just before SMB came out. I still enjoyed this puzzle a lot ... thanks for throwing it together so quickly!

Only wrong entry was HEE/AE? instead of HEM/AMO. Fortunately, I didn't have the trouble with 40D that Joon did ...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 am 

Eric - thanks!

Joon - there's also the MARIO/MARIO dupe but I'm going to say there wasn't really a way to get around that one.

While I'm here, I'm going to link to all the video game-themed puzzles I can think of. Others are welcome to add more if you can think of any. I'll also write the video game involved in invisible ink so as not to create a spoiler.

NY Sun 9/6/2007 *Frogger* <-- AWESOME puzzle

Jonesin', 5/25/2007 *Pac-Man*

Ink Well 12/6/05 *Tetris* <-- This one is amazing

What did I miss?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 am 

Also had the weird 2 thing... Can't say was thrilled with MARIO in two separate answers (OK I see you mentioned that further down), but put in me in the camp that doesn't see any reason why there shouldn't be a syndicated puzzle about the MARIO BROS... However, I've had a couple of related experiences that suggest it's going to be a hard sell!

Another Pacman theme @: http://crosswordfiend.blogspot.com/2008 ... -1015.html

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm 

One of the puzzles near the end of the NPL's Cryptic Crosswords has a pretty bonkers Tetris theme... here's a link to a pdf of the whole book: http://puzzlers.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?i ... yptic:cote

It's a (tough!!) variety cryptic, so be warned if that's not your thing!

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles