Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Happy Birthday, Will Shortz!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:13 pm 

Posting this one for Craig Kasper. Enjoy!

Attachments:
GetaClue.puz [2.27 KiB]
Downloaded 296 times
GetaClue.pdf [7.27 KiB]
Downloaded 221 times

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 am 

I've filled it in (cheating, which I hate, but there were a ton of proper names), and I still don't get it.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm 

SPOILER

John, I started at square 22 and moved in a SSE direction to find a famous Will. It seems like there should be others in the diagonals but I only saw TELL in the southeast corner.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:31 pm 

Thanks so much for the hint. I'll take a look soon. As you can probably guess, I started by looking for phrases formed by the entirety of the two main diagonals, which of course didn't pan out. I'm looking forward to trying again! John

P.S. It's not all that for just, well, six letters is it (and six letters not even matching the big hint word 6D and not, as in the clue for 6D, really "where to get a clue")? I can compliment it's being there, but I'm not exactly jumping up and down yet in pleasure.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 am 

jhaber3 wrote:
Thanks so much for the hint. I'll take a look soon. As you can probably guess, I started by looking for phrases formed by the entirety of the two main diagonals, which of course didn't pan out. I'm looking forward to trying again! John

P.S. It's not all that for just, well, six letters is it (and six letters not even matching the big hint word 6D and not, as in the clue for 6D, really "where to get a clue")? I can compliment it's being there, but I'm not exactly jumping up and down yet in pleasure.

My apologies for being late in responding.

The clue hidden in the grid is more than one word long, and forms a proper crossword clue when read in left-to-right order. It is not, however, all on a single diagonal.

IMAPROUDSUPPORTEROF
..MIT.DOH.PLO.EDS..
CROSSWORDFIENDFORUM
CANTBE.AIRES.RUNONS
RETORT.YEAST.ELICIT
.SELA...TNT...SAKE.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 am 

Thanks. Not much to go on, so at this point really just seeing if I can spell out pretty much anything starting pretty much anywhere and moving from square to square in pretty much any direction. Say, I managed OLD IDEAS AGAIN LATE OR IN A SALAD, but I'm sure that's not it. I guess I'll just keep trying.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:40 pm 

jhaber3 wrote:
Thanks. Not much to go on, so at this point really just seeing if I can spell out pretty much anything starting pretty much anywhere and moving from square to square in pretty much any direction. Say, I managed OLD IDEAS AGAIN LATE OR IN A SALAD, but I'm sure that's not it. I guess I'll just keep trying.

6D mentions "the understanding that further direction may be found elsewhere in this puzzle." The clue for 65-down is "(Further) direction", with the answer SSE. Both pieces of the clue which can be found in the grid read in a NNW-to-SSE direction.

If you believe you have one of the two pieces of the clue, you should look for the other in the rotationally symmetrical location.

-- Craig

IMAPROUDSUPPORTEROF
..MIT.DOH.PLO.EDS..
CROSSWORDFIENDFORUM
CANTBE.AIRES.RUNONS
RETORT.YEAST.ELICIT
.SELA...TNT...SAKE.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:03 pm 

Thanks for the hint. I'll get back to work.

Board index » Happy Birthday, Will Shortz!