Marie Kelly’s (Really Mike) Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “One of a Kind”—Dave Sullivan’s write-upThis week we’re in search of a famous entertainer. I wonder if it would be Cedric, or if you’re a fan of Portugal’s national football team, Cédric.
Again, there’s no confusion over what are our thematic entries, as each has an asterisk preceding its clue:
- 17a. [*Sure and more], ANTIPERSPIRANTS – a “masked capital” with the proper product name leading the clue
- 25a. [*Whiner who’s not a winner], SORE LOSER
- 36a. [*”Grey’s Anatomy” spinoff], PRIVATE PRACTICE – is this a new TV drama? I’ve never heard of it
- 46a. [*Pickle-making ingredients], DILL SEEDS – I guessed CUCUMBERS first.
- 58a. [*Lies low], GOES UNDERGROUND
I wish the title were a bit more obscure, it seemed to give too much away in my humble opinion. DEEP SIX for [Eliminate] was a nice entry to tie three of the five theme entries together. And though a fan of Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide series, I had forgotten that their onboard computer was named EDDIE. And why not, since HAL was already taken?