Matt Gaffney’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “Go West” — Conrad’s writeup.
This week we’re looking for the entry that’s a hidden sixth theme answer. There were five starred theme entries:
- 17A [*Runner’s lunch, maybe]: STEAKSALAD
- 24A [*”Frozen II” song performed by Josh Gad]: WHENIAMOLDER
- 36A [*Critic known for her 1932 Mozart biography]: MARCIADAVENPORT
- 47A [*Question while searching for a lost item]: WHOHADITLAST
- 57A [*”That was the plan, anyway”]: ORSOIHOPED
I thought about the title and applied east->west (or right -> left) in the grid. I spotted a backwards ALASKA and I had the rabbit:
- STE(AKSALA)D: ALASKA
- WH(ENIAM)OLDER: MAINE
- MARCI(ADAVEN)PORT: NEVADA
- WH(OHADI)TLAST: IDAHO
- ORS(OIHO)PED: OHIO
I scanned the grid and found our contest solution at 44d: CHATUP, containing a backwards UTAH. I thought Matt gave us a fun summertime puzzle. Solvers: please share your thoughts.