Matt Gaffney’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “Just Stop” — Conrad’s writeup.
This week we’re looking for a classic TV show. There were six thematic entries. Each formed a television show when adding the final missing (ninth) letter:
- [Disney Channel sitcom about a college that teaches dancing?]: SHAKEITU(P)
- [Fox drama about gloomy Tottenham coach Postecoglou?]: DARKANGE(L)
- [NBC drama about Mr. Damone in southern Florida?]: MIAMIVIC(E)
- [Starz comedy about investors celebrating stock gains?]: PARTYDOW(N)
- [NBC sitcom about a gaming console missing its interior parts?]: EMPTYNES(T)
- [Classic CBS sitcom about film director Besson?]: ILOVELUC(Y)
The missing ninth letters spelled PLENTY. I pondered classic TV shows, and as a Gen-X-er: Eight is Enough, our contest solution, popped into my brain. The answer was cemented when I noticed that each themer had eight letters, which was enough for this puzzle.
It played easy for me, but I’m not sure how someone who had never heard of Eight is Enough would find a path to identifying the TV show in question. Solvers: if you’re in that camp, please let me know how you solved (or didn’t) in the comments.