Mike Shenk’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “Deathtrap” — Conrad’s writeup.
This week we’re looking for a five-letter word. Mike gave us an extra hint in the final horizontal entry (71a): SPIDER, clued as “Creature whose creation can mean death for those trapped in it.” Spiders spin WEBs, of course. There were five theme entries, each containing a WEB that trapped one character:
- [Party pooper]: (WE[T]B)LANKET
- [Miserable in appearance]: (W[O]EB)EGONE
- [London suburb with a famous stadium]: (WE[M]B)LEY
- [In sorry shape]: ATALO(WE[B]B)
- [Seneca Crane’s portrayer in “The Hunger Games”]: (WE[S]B)ENTLEY
The trapped letters spell TOMBS, our contest solution. Mike gave us a spooky, but relatively easy meta this Halloween. Solvers: please share your thoughts.