Mike Shenk’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “Two by Two”—Laura’s review
Superquick post for a superquick solve.
This week’s answer is an animal.
No long theme entries, but there are five instances of entries with a doubled letter I:
- [22a: Pie chart dividers]: RADII
- [26a: Latin list shortener]: ET ALII
- [37a: “Really, it’s my treat!”]: I INSIST
- [45a: Its seal includes banana and taro leaves]: HAWAII
- [64a: Ayatollah Khamenei, e.g.]: SHIITE
Let’s see … the title is “Two by Two” and we have two I’s — can we make anything of the sets of twos by those twos? Spoiler alert: Yes, we can. The letters next to each pair of I’s are:
or, SALAMANDER, which is an animal, and our answer.