Peter Wentz’s New York Times crossword—Amy’s write-up
Another smooth, crisp themeless from Peter Wentz. Look at these great answers! STAY-AT-HOME DAD, SPARE NO EXPENSE, TA-NEHISI COATES, ERIC BANA, FIRE ANTS! WAR MOVIE, INTERNET RADIO, GAS STOVE, OXFAM, ID NUMBER, SMIRK, and K.T. OSLIN ain’t bad, either. And HART CRANE brings some old literary cred.
Nine more things:
- 1a. [Garage installation], SHOCKS. Shock absorbers, mechanic’s garage. Lots of ways you could clue this word—verb, electric shocks …
- 17a. [Can opener?], HARD C. Great clue! Not its first time around, though—2003 NY Sun, 2009 Hamel CrosSynergy.
- 26a. [___ d’amore], OBOE. I like to think this is lewd innuendo.
- 55a. [1994 Denis Leary comedy], THE REF. A classic! Dark comedy. Haven’t seen it since the ’90s, no idea how it holds up now.
- 3d. [Court order?], OYEZ. A word I learned from crossword puzzles and pretty much only see there.
- 14d. [Playwright who wrote “Walk! Not bloody likely. I am going in a taxi”], SHAW. Great quote clue!
- 29d. [Subject of a museum in St. Petersburg, Fla.], DALI. It’s a great museum! Marie Haley (Merl Reagle’s widow) took me there when I was in Florida a few weeks ago. If you go, be sure to take a guided tour with a docent—you’ll learn a ton of interesting tidbits about Dali’s life and art, and see so much more in the paintings.
- 39d. [Fuzz], FIVE-O. As in Hawaii Five-0, slang term for the cops.
- 47d. [___ salad], BEET. I had two salads with beets this summer. My decision: pickled beets will work, but non-pickled beets can biff right off. Too much beety flavor to tolerate.
4.25 stars from me.
Ross Trudeau’s LA Times crossword – Gareth’s write-up
Cute theme, although the revealer is a tad strained: AUTOCORRECTIONS rather than more typical AUTOCORRECT. The rest of the the theme is common car complaints: BROKENTAILLIGHT, FLATTIRES and DEADBATTERY. CHECKENGINE is a bit of an odd one out, as it’s not a thing that’s wrong, but rather a sign. My Lizzie (2005 Fiat Panda) spent over a month at the mechanic waiting for a new hub (from Japan?!) so… flashbacks.
Things I learnt: [“Appropriate for all children” rating], TVY is a thing, wanted TVA. [Portia of “Arrested Development”], DEROSSI was in roles after Ally MacBeal other than Better Off Ted. [Legendary Yankees closer, familiarly], MARIANO – have no idea, though several other Fiend bloggers follow baseball, and particularly the Yankees; Google suggests Rivera – I assumed we were looking for a nickname.