Peter Gordon & Matt Gaffney’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “One False Note”—Laura’s review
This week we’re looking for a country singer.
Here are some themers:
- [18a: Shots of muscular men]: BEEFCAKE
- [20a: Talked issues]: DEBATED
- [28a: Declined to take part]: BEGGED OFF
- [39a: Earth’s lowest lake]: DEAD SEA
- [48a: Shameless, like a lie]: BALD FACED
- [58a: Poking a hive with a stick, say]: BAD IDEA
- [61a: “Personal Witness: Israel Through My Eyes” writer]: ABBA EBAN
First observation: All the letters in the themers, except for one in each themer, are musical notes. Like so:
Second observation, to solve the puzzle: The non-musical-note letters spell out K. T. OSLIN, a country music singer of the 1980s (I think? I don’t remember any big hits past then, and I kinda only knew her name because OSLIN appears in the occasional grid). That’s all I have!
Check out the styles in this video: