Mike Shenk’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “Poetic Justice” — Laura’s review
This week, we’re looking for a job in the legal profession. I would imagine many people are.
The grid has a whole bunch of rhyming themers:
- [17a: Inky blotch on a folder?]: FILE SMUDGE
- [36a: Usher who finds work overly toilsome?]: AISLE DRUDGE
- [59a: Muddy deposits that snag Cleopatra’s barge?]: NILE SLUDGE
- [10d: Soft confection that tastes absolutely awful?]: VILE FUDGE
- [33d: Gentle adjustment while tuning in a radio station?]: DIAL NUDGE
Those five entries point us toward a sixth rhyme, which must be TRIAL JUDGE, a a job in the legal profession, and our answer.
[55d: Singer Redbone]: LEON can sing us out.