Matt Gaffney’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “Some Real Duds in There” — Conrad’s review.
This week we’re told: The answer to this week’s contest crossword is a Best Picture-nominated film of the past 10 years. There are six long (and unusual) theme entries:
- [18a: Cookware for making midnight snacks?]: PAJAMAPANS
- [23a: Kind of people who choose to live in the North Atlantic?]: BERMUDASORTS
- [35a: Campfire playlet set in a field?]: GRASSSKIT
- [41a: Thinks oneself better than actor Lowe?]: JUDGESROB
- [47a: Aniston and Psaki with their own lines of clothing?]: DESIGNERJENS
- [53a: Piece of fruit made from cocoons?]: SILKBANANA
Adding one letter to the 2nd word of each themer forms a piece of clothing:
- PAJAMA PAN(T)S
- BERMUDA S(H)HORTS
- GRASS SKI(R)T
- JUDGES ROB(E)
- DESIGNER JE(A)NS
- SILK BAN(D)ANA
The missing letters form THREAD and some quick googling shows that our meta solution PHANTOM THREAD was nominated for best picture in 2017 (The Shape of Water won the award). We’ll end with Missing by Everything But The Girl.