Matt Gaffney’s Wall Street Journal contest crossword, “It’s That Time Again” — Conrad’s writeup.
This week we’re looking for the two-word clue (clue, not grid entry) that makes a fitting sixth theme entry. There were five starred theme entries, each comprised of two words:
- 17A [*Decide not to leave quite yet]: (H)ANG(A)ROUND
- 27A [*Healing smoker]: (P)EACE(P)IPE
- 38A [*Frenchman who won the French Open in 1983]: (Y)ANNICK(N)OAH
- 51A [*Omelet ingredients, often]: (E)GG(W)HITES
- 62A [*Comment to the more-than-punctual]: (Y)OURE(E)ARLY
The first letter of each word spell HAPPYNEWYE. Matt wants us to have a Happy New Year, so we need to find a two-word clue that begins with an A and an R. 70a (TATA)’s clue fits the bill, making “Au Revoir!” our contest answer.
I second Matt’s emotion: Happy New Year, everyone!